Thursday, September 01, 2005

Alive and kicking

Well, we are still alive. However, our sanity is being compromised more with each passing day. Now they are saying it will be 30 or MORE days before residents will be let back into New Orleans. So now the anxiety can be prolonged. We looked at a map of where it flooded and it appears our house should be dry. It could have suffered some other damage still. Now of course, the concern is that looters will break in. It really is a sad commentary on people in these worst of times when you see the news about the rampant looting in the city. As soon as they do allow people to go back we will go and salvage anything left and move it out of the city. We will never live there again. I just hope we can sell the house still so we can relocate to Portland. Here we were about to start a new chapter in our lives and instead we are living the most traumatic times of our lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Badger:
I have the same feeling that you had, that the water up St.Charles was not very deep. What Sucks is the fact that the house was not sold before the hurricane came along!
When we found out you were in Mobile, I was worried again, because the Bay spilled into downtown. Does your mom live away from the flooded area there?
I flew from Mexico yesterday, via Houston to San Antonio. Mr. B. is still down in Mexico.
Chuck and Mr. Brookman are supposed to drive here on Sunday to visit me for a couple of days.
Do you think I should drag them downtown to see the Alamo?:)
I was in San Miguel from June 20 to August 31. I am supposed to return there near the end of September for about a two week stay and then we'll both return to Texas.
Both planes yesterday were crammed full, from Mexico to Houston and from Houston to San Antonio (Continental) Several people made money by giving up their seats voluntarily because of overbooking.
We were planning on a nice drive down to Miami in November, but things don't look good. I am afraid that IH-10 won't be in good shape (or even open) by that time.
Plus, I am afraid too that Dorignac's might not be up and running and we won't be able to fill the trunk of the car with nice things like booze and Brocatto's Fig cookies.
If anyone tries to "loot" Chuck's place in the Quarter, I hope Jack's ghost bites them in the ass.
Let me know when you return to NOLA, and maybe things will be okay. My worry now is that houses might not be easy to sell, as people are frightened off from NOLA for a time.
Keep in touch
Regards to Row Bear.