Sunday, July 17, 2005

The Apple of my I

I am now happily typing this on my new Mac. I got a 12" Powerbook to replace the 12" iBook that died. I like the smaller size and weight, plus the 15" Powerbook I would have wanted was $500 more, so....

Everything about it is better than the old iBook except for one thing: wireless reception range is terrible. With the old iBook I could be anywhere in the house and still get a signal to web surf. With the Powerbook I have to be in the same room as the base station. Apparently the aluminum casing of the Powerbook shields it from receiving the wifi signal very well, unlike the plastic case of the iBook. Maybe I will research if a booster antennae for the Airport base station would help. Otherwise it certainly is much faster (G4 1.5 GHz versus G3 600 MHz) and I get almost 4 hours off a battery charge. All in all, I am very happy with it. :-)

No comments: